I’ve always admired those people that hop off the plane with hand luggage and travellers who are light on their feet.
I met this crazy chick in Floripa, Brazil and she was travelling South America for a whole month with a tiny backpack. She even packed highheels!
I am one of those people who hate packing and leave it until the last minute as I never know what to pack. I wanted to create a guide for you guys on how to travel light and thought who best to help out than Raquel who I met in Floripa.
“So tell me your secrets to traveling light Raquel..”
“Before I pack an item I always ask if I would really need this during my trip?
And every time I return from a holiday I try and make a mental note of things I never used.
Obviously, packing depends on the weather at the location you are traveling to and winter packing is a lot harder. Although you need less clothes because they don’t get dirty as often, nevertheless the clothes take up more room and weight more.
Guide for Summer Destinations
- 1 pair of tennis shoes (to wear daily)
- 1 pair of havaianas (with straps is best because you can wear them as sandals, to the beach or in the shower)
- 1 pair of high heels (I always, always pack them) – and sometimes I pack a pair of ballet flats as they go with everything but usually they are useless
- 5-6 pairs of undies
- 2-3 bras (2 is usually enough)
- 3-4 pairs of socks (if packing runners)
- no more than 2 pairs of Bikinis (usually I only take one)
- 2 versatile/comfortable pairs of bottoms (shorts or skirts) for sightseeing/beach 4-5 pairs of tops (t-shirt, singlet, shirts) for sightseeing/beach
- 1 dress
- 1 pair of jeans (for the colder days)
- 1 sweater (for the colder days) Going out Clothes
- 1 dress/nice shirt in a dudes case (you don’t need more than one, as you are always on the move and will be going out with different people, sometimes 2 dresses is okay)
- 1 nice top to go with jeans
- small 100ml bottle of ( shampoo, shower gel, moisturiser, sun block, and even smaller conditioner and face cream/moisturiser/sun block)
- basics for make up (foundation, mascara, blush, 1 lipstick, 1 eyeliner)
- couple necklaces/earrings and hair accessories
- basic medication for pain/fever, bandages and condoms ( I always pack 1 :P)
- 1 and one purse (a small one that fits in my small backpack)
- 1 small everyday backpack (whilst in transit you have the big one on your back and the small one on the front)
- phone and charger
- camera and charger
- 1 mini notebook
- 1 pen
- 1 lock
- most of the above applies apart from the shorts you would take trousers, instead of the shirts you would take warmer shirts and instead of ballet flats you would take boots.”
“Wow so impressive, I honestly don’t think I could do that, but we will see and I will post the contents of my backpack to compare.”
My additions – Insect repellent depending on the location you go – I also noticed she didn’t mention a deodorant, hairbrush, toothbrush, tooth paste, razor.
I will also be posting a packing checklist of everything you should pack starting from your passport.